As the weather gets hotter, you may be thinking more about staying fresh. As you are wearing those sleeveless shirts and hopefully dancing until you are pouring with sweat, or is that just me, you may be wanting a deodorant that is going to keep up with those active sweat glands. Which, by the way, is one of the ways our amazing body gets rid of toxins. So, what is the best way to allow that detox process to work effectively without driving away your dance partner?
Choose a deodorant that does not contain the following ingredients:
● Aluminum Compounds – Aluminum is the ingredient in antiperspirants that actually clogs your pores and prevents sweating. Aluminum exposure has been linked with the development of Alzheimer’s disease and interferes with your estrogen levels. When your body can’t process estrogen properly, there’s a higher risk for breast and prostate cancer.
● Parabens – This chemical is used in a lot of products these days as a preservative, but it is possibly one of the most harmful additives of all. Sometimes parabens act as estrogen in your body, which disrupts hormonal balances and has been linked to breast cancer and prostate cancer.
● Steareths – These additives are the product of ethoxylation (weakening of harsh chemicals in the manufacturing process), which simultaneously produces carcinogens and dioxanes.
● Triclosan – The FDA has classified triclosan as a pesticide, yet it is in the majority of brand name deodorants. It’s used to kill bacteria in the manufacturing process, as well as when it comes in contact with your skin. When triclosan is combined with water it can also create a carcinogenic gas called chloroform.
● Propylene Glycol – If used everyday, this chemical can cause damage to your central nervous system, heart and liver. It is also shown to irritate skin, especially if you have sensitive skin. Propylene glycol can be harmful at as small a percentage as 2%, yet deodorants generally have a high dose of 50% propylene glycol.
● TEA and DEA – Triethanolamine (TEA) and diethanolamine (DEA) are chemicals that can seep into your skin and affect your liver and kidneys. In fact, they’re so harmful that these two chemicals have already been banned from products in Europe because they are known carcinogens.
● Artificial Colors – Some artificial colors and bleaches in deodorants can cause serious allergic reactions and are also known carcinogens.
My favorite option for deodorant is The Clean Deodorant from BEAUTYCOUNTER. It is not only made from clean ingredients but it is in a refillable container which is better for our environment.